Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Talk Nerdy to Me

As I entered 42 lounge for the first time in early winter of last year, the first thing I noticed was the three people playing Wii. The second thing was the people playing a board game in the back, and then the cartoons on the wall. Already this was a better atmosphere than any other “lounge” establishment I had been in to date; and I've seen a few.
As we (my friends, fiance, and I) sat down, we pulled up a menu and the atmosphere got even better. There seemed to be every type of reference you could imagine inside one booklet. When my fiance then showed disappointment in the fact that they didn't have a “pan-galactic gargle blaster” the waitress walked over and said they have two, but it isn't on the menu because they recently changed the recipe. That was it; the illusion was complete. This showed a complete pan-geek/nerdiness that was a wonderful sight to behold.

                They had covered every great aspect from random games laying around to nick-knacks of all kinds lining the shelves. They catered to every sort of geek and did it with a welcoming smile. I can honestly say I felt more comfortable here being myself than I ever did in a one-dimensional hole of scum and villainy. I believe this is because the further you get away from being all encompassing, the more people you alienate from that environment. 42 lounge, for instance, caters to all nerds, every last one of them. A sports bar, in contrast, caters to people who like sports, and that’s it, but not even every sport is accepted! Try going to a sports bar during the play offs or the super bowl and suggesting you watch something else! You would most likely be punished with some sort of degrading gender offending sexuality questioning humiliation! But I digress…
                Watching the video “Talk Nerdy to Me” reminded me of that beautiful place. It seemed to show not only how the singers liked many types of the all-encompassing nerdy universe, but also how they accepted anyone and whatever that person liked. In one lyric they talked about magic the gathering (a known if not popular trading card game) and next they were cosplaying Harley Quinn and the joker followed by a reference to star wars! This was directly on-par with the Mario game being played with a star wars controller by a man wearing a shirt that referenced something not yet mentioned (I don’t entirely remember, it is a bar after all).
                I am glad places like this exist, and I am glad they are near to me. Because people, much like this song and that lounge, are not single dimensional beings. Most if not all of us enjoy more than one thing, and when all of those things come together, it makes for an amazing time. This effect is multiplied exponentially when we can enjoy it in the company of those we enjoy who, in turn, also enjoy that atmosphere. 

15 comments:

  1. Nice! I'll take a nerd bar over a sports bar every time. How was the pan-galactic gargle blaster? Tough to live up to the reputation as the best drink in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Great article! I haven't been to 42 Lounge quite yet, but after reading about your experience at the Milwaukee bar I am looking forward to checking it out. It is true that sports bars can be predictable and one-dimensional, so it's comforting to know that there is a social place that is offering something new to those who enjoy gaming, larping, cosplay or anything that could be considered "nerdy". It seems we all have a little nerd in all of us and it exists much like a spectrum. Some are a little nerdy, some a lot and some in the middle. Much like the video "Talk Nerdy to Me" suggests, there is something for everyone in nerd culture. Im looking forward to my first experience at this bar. Good job on the article and lets blast off for a galactic gargler soon!

    - written by Erik Thorne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lounge 42 sounds like a great bar and a place I will definitely have to check out. I really enjoy themed bars but one that is so well thought out and committed to the theme and crowd that they hope to attract. I have worked in the service industry for years and I think it is extremely important to feel comfortable and welcomed in an establishment. I am glad to know that there are unique places that tend to specific interests for adults. I hate walking into a bar and feeling uncomfortable because it is just not my scene and being surrounded by people who make you feel like even more of an outsider. I applaud Lounge 42 for being different and offering a place for gamers and "nerds" to hang out and be social while connecting over more than just their drinks. Way to go Lounge 42, I can't wait to check it out!

    -Emily Bauer

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with the all-encompassing statement made in this article and, furthermore, have been on the brunt end of some of those malicious comments (asking to watch american football in a sports pub in England). Many of the bars seem to only cater to a single group of one-dimensional people whether its a sports bar, artsy bar, or a dance club. In any of these places you would only expect to find a certain type of person; sports lovers, hipsters, or clubbers. I have yet to go to 42 Lounge but I certainly intend on it due to the raving reviews it has gotten on this blog and simply because I believe it would be a refreshing atmosphere in which to hang out and discuss the things that I, and so many others, love. I'm nerdy and I know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when 42 lounge first opened, I was really excited to go and check it out. However, then my boyfriend's critical (super-nerd) roommate went and gave us a bad review. I was sad, but I also trusted his opinion since he was a super nerd and how could I like it when he had such a bad time. Looking back I should have probably just gone to acquire my own opinion but he took the luster away from it. However, after reading this post I am back to being interested in checking this place out. Even just to see it and have a silly nerd inspired cocktail and look around at all the board games and consoles being used. Thank you for bringing back the wonder of 42 lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when 42 lounge first opened, I was really excited to go and check it out. However, then my boyfriend's critical (super-nerd) roommate went and gave us a bad review. I was sad, but I also trusted his opinion since he was a super nerd and how could I like it when he had such a bad time. Looking back I should have probably just gone to acquire my own opinion but he took the luster away from it. However, after reading this post I am back to being interested in checking this place out. Even just to see it and have a silly nerd inspired cocktail and look around at all the board games and consoles being used. Thank you for bringing back the wonder of 42 lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having never been to 42 Lounge or any gaming bar of any kind, it was interesting to read how welcome you felt in an environment designed to operate as a space for those with similar interests. I would be interested to go at some point, but my hesitation stems from feeling like I would be out of place or not nerdy enough. It made me realize that as some other people have commented that maybe that's exactly how other people may feel walking into a place where I would feel super comfortable, like a sports bar. You are exactly right in that people are not one-dimensional beings. While I could talk to you all day about fantasy football or the NBA playoffs, I also like video games and some geeky things (honestly playing Super Smash Bros. on a projection screen sounds awesome). I've made it my personal mission now to visit 42 Lounge and take part in the community before graduating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a big fan of 42 Lounge, not only because my love for alcohol, but the welcoming and accepting atmosphere I found there. The last time I was there was the only time I noticed someone getting a dirty look there. There was a business meeting that let out around the corner and there were about 20 men in suits that were hanging out. A few of them were giving dirty looks to some folks wearing anime shirts and acting happy. I couldn't imagine how they would have treated someone in cosplay. Isn't wearing a sports jersey to a sporting event or just as a regular piece of clothing cosplaying? Try telling that to a guy wearing a Brett Favre jersey at a sports bar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to 42 Lounge twice for my final project/paper/presentation on the cosplay subculture. I love this post in that it really gives you a sense of what it would be like to actually be sitting at a table in this establishment. When I went here for my final project I have never been before. I loved the unique energy of the bar. In your post you compare 42 Lounge to a sport's bar. You mention that if you like any sports at all you would basically feel comfortable and feel like you 'fit-in' with others at that sport's bar. I agree that 42 Lounge does the same thing with nerd-culture. I felt comfortable the minute I walked in the door. I am new to cosplay, anime and gaming but have loved the time spent at this bar. Great read!

    -Brittany Laughrin

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I went here for my final project I had never been before. ***^

    -Brittany Laughrin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to 42 Lounge twice for my final project/paper/presentation on the cosplay subculture. I love this post in that it really gives you a sense of what it would be like to actually be sitting at a table in this establishment. When I went here for my final project I had never been before. I loved the unique energy of the bar. In your post you compare 42 Lounge to a sport's bar. You mention that if you like any sports at all you would basically feel comfortable and feel like you 'fit-in' with others at that sport's bar. I agree that 42 Lounge does the same thing with nerd-culture. I felt comfortable the minute I walked in the door. I am new to cosplay, anime and gaming but have loved the time spent at this bar. Great read!

    ReplyDelete