Wednesday, March 30, 2016

My first MMORPG

When my now wife and I started dating in 2005 I was not a huge digital gamer.  I played solo games on the console for my gaming needs.  My wife, Bridgette, was more of a gamer than I was.  Bridgette would play this game World of Warcraft on the computer, were she would laugh, have conversations with other people, and yes she even yells at the monitor like it will help when she is frustrated.  I was not interested in this concept of playing a game like WoW (World of Warcraft).  Bridgette would constantly pressure me to come and watch her play WoW, even talk to the other players in her guild.  This constant pressure from Bridgette continued for about two months.






Finally I broke down and made an avatar on WoW.  I created a Night Elf Druid.  A druid could change into different animals for different needs, like a panther type cat for damage, a bear with big elf ears to take damage, and a tree to heal yourself and others.  After the avatar creation of picking the face, hair, skin color, hair color I named my new character Dragomoon.  I like dragons and the moon for the druid part of my avatar.  I was like okay this is happening.  A cut scene started and introduced me to the Night Elf race and the predicament they were having with the Orc race.  After the introduction scene my character stood there at the starting area for the Night Elf race, and my adventure began.  I played WoW for about two hours with no breaks, I was so excited that I went out and bought the game that day.
After returning home and deleting that new character, I remade my Dragomoon character on my account I started my adventure in WoW.  I played for about four more hours that night and talk to my new friends along the way.  I was immediately accepted from this new community of WoW players my wife played with.  My new guild helped me along my adventure through Azeroth, the Blasted Lands, and more.  Along the way the bonds of friendship increased even though we had never meet in person.  I was amazed at the way people talked to me without knowing me.  I finally reached a high enough level to go into my first dungeon.  I was nervous, but felt I was ready to take this task head on.  Boy was I not only wrong but not even remotely ready to take on the enemies here, I entered the dungeon alone in no group and died in about three seconds from attacking the enemies.  After asking my guild about this dungeon, they laughed and told me I needed a group of four other people to do these smaller dungeons.

This was a quick look at my first time playing a digital game called World of Warcraft.  I still play this game today, not as much as I did when I first played.  I have tried many different digital games since WoW like Smite a MOBA (Multiple Online Battle Arena), Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, and many more.  I would have to say even if you never tried a digital game before, give it a try you might be surprised how much you like it.

1 comment:

  1. Coming from another once WoW player I too find that guild communities in WoW to be very friendly and supportive. I started playing WoW back in the Vanilla days where being in groups for raids in instances was required because all the content was the highest level there was, no a days you can have a lvl 90 solo most instances and raids up to lvl 70s. For me a lot of the players in my guild helped me in a way that made me want to play the game more and made it easier and more accessible to game and level. Haha I'm guessing the instance you ran into by yourself was Ragefire Chasm or Stowmwind Stockades, which takes me back to my WoW days. I got so close to some of my guild members that we created our own arena teams and would always be on the same Vent (chat party) channel. To this day the guild communities in WoW and the PVP is what made WoW such the perfect game that it was, besides Death Knights. If I had the money and time I would for sure without a doubt still be healing my team in BGs and Arenas.

    ReplyDelete